Today I wanted to sit down and write about how I go about blogging and taking photos for Instagram. I often get asked what I use to take my photos and how I take my photos for my Instagram (@georgialovesx). I think my process is actually quite simple, easy for any ability, using as little technology as possible. In fact, I only use my iPhone ?
It is possible to only use only your phone to have a successful Instagram account and to run a blog. Now this may not be news to all of you, but I feel like it may be for some. I had watched many tutorials & read through posts of ‘how people edit their pictures for IG’ ect and all the photoshop programs on computers and how to edit got me really confused ? Also, some people may not have access to a computer – but a phone is really all you need.
How I Take Photos For Instagram
If you are familiar with my Insta account you will already know that I love a good flatlay. Its pretty much the layout of every photo I take. Here is a few quick steps to achieve the perfect flatlay ??
1. Choose your background: I use a blank canvas from Kmart (super cheap, perfect on its own if you want a white background) with Marble contact (also from Kmart) applied to the board. Using a canvas is great because you can move it around the house & store it away when you’re not using it.
2. Choose your lighting: For the last year I have used only natural lighting, I feel that this works best for my personal set up. I will set up my board next to a window when the lighting is right and then i’m set to take my pictures! It does take a bit of trial and error to figure out when the lighting is best at your window. For instance, late morning and early afternoon works perfectly for me but sometimes the afternoon light works too. The weather is also a factor. If its a really sunny day, my photos don’t come out how I like them and if its too blue it doesn’t work either ? Have a play and see what works best for you!!
3. Arrange your flatlay: This is where your imagination kicks in. Let your creative juices flow and see what you come up with. Everyone has their own style or niche, just figure out what you like and most importantly what you are proud of. If you are happy and content with your work, that should be enough ?? Definitely check out your fave Instagrammers for inspo, but remember not to copy or at least give credit where it is due. Authentic work is the best work ?
4. Taking the photo: I have an iPhone 6 and thats what I use to take all of my photos that are on my Insta. Just make sure to clean the lens & focus your picture then you’re ready to go ?
How I Edit Photos For Instagram
I don’t overly edit my pictures as I try to take them in the best lighting I can to enhance the final result. I will take you through how I get my pictures Insta ready all via iPhone and with minimal editing ?
1. Editing: I go into Instagram and open the photo I want to edit as if I was uploading a new pic. I then use the ‘edit’ tool to adjust the brightness and contrast of the photo. At the moment I have only been needing to use the brightening tool because my lighting has been ace, yay! After I have done this I will then upload the photo to Instagram so the new, edited pic shows up in my camera roll (make sure you have this on in your settings) and I can get a squiz at how it will look in my feed before I delete it to continue my process.
There is probably another app I can do this in, but the least amount of apps I use, the better ??
2. Whitening: Again, I don’t often have to do this at all – but its very useful if you have a white background or a dark spot you that needs some extra attention! You can open the picture in Facetune & use the whitening tool tp specifically whiten areas that need it. Definitely optional and not always necessary, but its a great tool to use when needed!
3. Borders: My Insta theme at the moment includes all my photos having a white border. I use the app ‘SizeIt’ as its super easy to size your picture to the border you would like – and its free ??
After these three easy steps, my photo is ready to be uploaded!!! I really believe it all comes down to the lighting and if you get that right it will make the whole process 100% easier!
How I Manage My Blog
A majority of the time I feel the most motivated to blog when i’m snuggled up in my bed (like I am now ??). I use WordPress to host my website, and luckily you can manage your site from your phone exactly as you would on your computer! This is perfect for me because when i’m on the go and think of an idea i’d like the blog about, I can immediately start a new post and jot down my ideas then save as a draft for later. I can easily check in on my stats on my phone as its more practical to access than whipping out a laptop! Also, you can easily use Emojis which, i’m sure you can tell by now, I love ❤❤❤
The aim of this post for me was just to express that there are many ways that you can approach blogging and Instagram. Everyone is different, and sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error, but you will get there!
Have you found this post helpful? If you would like to see any more tips & tricks / ‘how to’ type of posts let me know in the comments! ❤